Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Honesty is the First Chapter in the Book of Wisdom

The other day I had a meeting with a potential client. The client was upset when I said that the position the client wanted to take was not supported by the law and was unlikely to be successful in court.

"That's not what I want to hear." the client said.

"That may be so." I replied. "But it is the truth."

Divorce is very disruptive to the status quo. But it is imperative that we tell the clients the truth about their situation. Oftentimes there are strategies or alternatives that are better than others, and we help our clients achieve the best result possible. But strategies and alternatives are worthless if not based upon reality.

So I preach and mainly practice a fierce devotion to the truth. I may not tell you what you want to hear. But I will tell you what you need to hear.

Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment